How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31991
Experience:  30 plus years of experience.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was married in state left years married someone else in

Customer Question

I was married in Washington state left for 16 years married someone else in texas and just found out my my first wife and I are still married. Is my second marriage void so I don't have to pay spousal support.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Is the first wife still alive?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

A bigamous marriage is voidable. That means you will need to file for an annulment.

Once the annulment is granted, it is as if the marriage never occurred and neither spouse is entitled to support. One thing to be careful of, though, is that bigamy is a crime and may be prosecuted as such.

But, to answer your question, you would not be liable for spousal support after the annulment.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Are you still online with me?

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?