Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  13 years experience, divorce & custody issues, protective orders, child abuse issues
20355756

My husband & I are in the process of getting a divorce but

Customer Question

My husband & I are in the process of getting a divorce but he took my car & I have no way to get in contact with him . How can I get my car back ?
JA: OK. The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Family Lawyer can help you best. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: I've been married since April of last year . The relationship is horrible and now I'm in Korea for 9 months on deployment & my husband has my car . I need my car back asap but the law enforcement tells me there's nothing I can do.
JA: Is there anything else the Family Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: Domestic violence and adultrey is the reason I'm getting a divorce & there is police reports to support that.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 9 months ago.

Hello there -

-

Is the car in your name alone (ownership and registration paperwork)?

-

MARY

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ma'am.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Everything is in my name, including insurance . He doesn't even have a drivers license To drive the vehicle.

Hello again --

-

Is the car and your estranged husband in Korea also? Or are they in the states and if so, what state?

-

MARY

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My car and husband is in Killeen Tx, I'm in Korea.

Hello again --

-

Call the state police and report the car stolen in Texas. Tell them that you are in Korea and a friend told you that your car is not in the usual spot where it is supposed to be, and ask them to take a stolen vehicle report and find the car for you. If they ask if your estranged husband has the car, tell them that he should not have the car because he does not have a license to drive and that is why you believe it has been stolen.

-

Yes, it is a drastic step and if your husband has any warrants out on him then he could be arrested if he is actually found to be driving the car. Depending upon how you feel about that, you might tell him that if he does not drop the car off at a place of your choosing (a relative?) then you are going to report the car stolen to the state police and let the chips fall where they may if he is found driving it.

-

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions. If not, can you please press a positive rating above so I will be paid for my time? I am paid nothing unless you press a positive rating above (the middle star or the fourth or fifth star to the right of the middle star are positive ratings). Doing so will not cost you any additional money -- it simply acts as the trigger to Just Answer to pay me for my time. THANK YOU VERY MUCH

-

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I've tried to call the police and make a report but they told me I have to be in the location where the car is stolen to make it .

Does anyone in Texas have a power of attorney for you? If not, you should see if you can arrange for someone to be granted your power of attorney to handle all matters to do with any personal belongings including your car in Texas, USA. The police will then take a report from that person if they are shown the power of attorney and can also talk to you by telephone.

You should be able to get a simple power of attorney form through your legal liason on base there in Korea. THe wording just has to say what I said above -- that you grant XXXXXXXX the power to act as your attorney in fact for the purposes of handling all matters of personal property including my automobile (make, model, license #) and then you sign it in front of a notary and get it to the person who you trust to act in that capacity. THen that person should go to the police department to report the car stolen.

-

MARY