Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
91018665

I share joint custody with my X. This school year he's

Customer Question

Hi, I share joint custody with my X. This school year he's decided he doesn't have to pay for our 2 children's school lunches during his week. We do every other week time share. What do I need to file to have him understand that school lunches during his custody week is not part of his child support he pays?
JA: PayPal, Debitcard or credit card are all fine.
Customer: I don't understand your response...
JA: OK. The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No, I don't have the money to get a lawyer to have him pay R$50 a month for school lunches.
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Family Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else important you think the Family Lawyer should know?
Customer: I've been divorced 6 years. Until start of school this year, we had been splitting paying for our children's school lunches. Approximately $50 a child. At the end of the first month of school he has my 9 year old son call me crying because he has no lunch money and has to eat cheese sandwiches. I written several emails to my X about his responsibility for school lunches during his custody weeks. He knows I won't let my children be without lunches -- so he just responds that it's covered by the $199 a month he pays me in child support. I don't have funds to hire a lawyer to get my X to understand that child support does not cover school lunches during his custody week. Is there anything I can file pro se get my X to pay for school lunches during his custody week?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $13 after the Family Lawyer responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 9 months ago.

Unfortunately if the order is not explicit about school lunches then he is not necessarily obligated to pay for them. I think it is pretty ridiculous of him to do that but legally he is not required. You can file a motion to modify the child support order and ask the judge to modify the child support amount to account for the school lunches. You can do this pro se.

Expert:  Steven K. replied 9 months ago.

Can you attach a copy of the child support order?

Please disregard my above post. I posted it in error and it will not let me delete it.

I am still here to assist.