Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

California) I filed in October 2010 from my husband who is

Customer Question

California)
I filed for divorce in October 2010 from my husband who is an Irish Citizen living in Scotland. We were married in Ireland and I lived in Scotland with him until March 2010.
We have no children, no joined finances or own any property so I chose to file for divorce and handle it myself. Though I sent the divorce papers by registered mail to my husband, he was able to acquire them without signing and has not returned any of them the 3 times I've sent them. Too many abusive confrontations with him led me to shelf the divorce for the last couple of years but now I'm not ready to forge ahead with finalizing it this year. My question is, since I already have a case pending can I continue where I left off from 3 years ago and just hire someone to serve him in Scotland? Or do I need to close this case and re-open a new one?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 9 months ago.

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I have been a CA licensed attorney for more than 30 years and I handle Family law issues.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and complex multinational issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a nominal charge I can offer you a phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread. Let me know if you don't want a call and I will be happy continue here with an answer for you.

Either way, whether I call you or not, in order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Have you received any notice from the court that the case was being dismissed for any reason?

2. What is the last communication that you have received from the court?

Thanks in advance,

Doug