Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

I got a relationship 10 year, same sex. Do I have any rights

Customer Question

I got a relationship for over 10 year, same sex. Do I have any rights if the relationship ends for one of them with not an strong reason?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  11012014Jah replied 10 months ago.

I would like to be able to help you. But I may need more information. Can you be more specific about your request?

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unless you were legally married or in a legal civil union, you being in a relationship (same sex or opposite sex does not matter) does not give you any rights other than to take your property you purchased and your personal property with you. You are not entitled to alimony or any support I am afraid.
If you were married or in a civil union, then you would have to file for divorce or dissolution and you would be entitled to an equitable division of your property acquired during the union/marriage and also possibly spousal support. But absent marriage/union you are no different than just dating and living together and that does not give you any rights upon break up.