Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I have been paying child support. But have not been able to

Customer Question

I have been paying child support. But have not been able to see the child in six years she is now 16. Do I still have to pay child support being she has a baby of her own. I adopted her when her mother was going to jail and I was married to the child's grandmother at the time. So grandmother want to adopt her.so we did she has her mother and her grandmother in her life. So 6 years ago I had to start paying child support.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.

This is court ordered child support?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for the additional information. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.

Yes, so long as their is a standing support order you are required to comply or else be held in contempt of court. You would need to go before the court to modify the support order based on the changing circumstances. Otherwise, you are liable for the support required in the original order.

Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not necessarily a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.

Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?