How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27009
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Paying alimony years.. Married only 14 years.. How to stop

Customer Question

Paying alimony for 20 years.. Married only 14 years.. How to stop
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 11 months ago.


This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

Unless there was an agreement not to seek changes in court, a court can modify periodic alimony payments if either spouse can show that there's been a significant change in the circumstances that gave rise to the order.

For example, a significant change in circumstances would be if you lost your job or have been laid off or demoted - in other words your income has changed at no fault of your own. The other way to seek termination or modification is if the recipient spouse has remarried or if you can show they are cohabiting with another person who is significantly contributing to their financial well being. In turn that would mean they do not have as much a need for the alimony as when it was originally ordered.

Please let me know here if you have other questions or need clarification. Otherwise a Positive rating ensures i get credit for my time.

Related Family Law Questions