Benicia Baker-Livors
Benicia Baker-Livors, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Managing member at Family Law Group
15238708

I am from california. My wife filed a restraining order

Customer Question

I am from california. My wife filed a restraining order against me. After initial trial the judge postponed argument to another day. Now my attorney said my wife is ready to accept for non CLETS restraining order for 1 year.
What does that mean? How is it different from a regular restraining order?
If i agree for this can she go back again in future to court and ask for restraining order even if i am not in contact with her?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 12 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
A CLETS restraining order is one entered into the restraining order database that allows the police to arrest the person for any violations. A non-CLETS order is one where the victim has to go to court to file a motion for any violation and you would have to return to court to defend against the violation. It is a private stay away order is what it really is, one that does not give the police the right to arrest you for a violation.
If you have no more contact with her she cannot go back and get another order absent proving that you violated the current order and are still trying to make contact.
Expert:  Benicia Baker-Livors replied 12 months ago.

Your payment was rejected for the phone call. I would be happy to call you once your payment is accepted.