How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Asad Rahman Your Own Question
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2120
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Asad Rahman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can a spouse settle the property settlement without the

Customer Question

how can a spouse settle the property settlement without the knowledge of the pother party?
JA: OK. The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: yes, she said that he went and signed everything over to himself as a final judgement when I was falsely accused and temporarily imprisoned. this was in 2012. I had no idea. I have the paperwork for property settlement and assets etc. I was told this by a lawyer today that I paid in Louisiana for advice. I s that possible. Husband still has possession. of the property. when we were married I made twice what he did. He filed a divorce and restraining order behind my back and cost me my jobs etc.. I was a professional worker out of my home for a national company and a real estate agent.
JA: What advice did they give you?
Customer: they said I could contact that parish and get a copy of the file. However I was nervous about doing so. three years after the split up he called me and invited me over. I went and he was nice at first and then committed domestic violence. Punched me in the face and then left. the sheriffs came over and nicely asked me to leave.
JA: Please tell me your email address, in case we get disconnected.
JA: Thanks. Are you ready to speak with the Family Lawyer now?
Customer: yes.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

This is very hard to believe. Usually a judge should not have even granted the divorce or awarded any property settlement without you also being lresent or having at least consented in writing. My advice would be to ask the court to open up the settlement terms so that everything can be divided equitably. The basis for the court to consider this are twofold. 1) possible fraud by your ex if he forged signatures or moved assets without your consent. And 2) you were not able to consent to anything due to your incarceration.