LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
15277592

If we are discussing a divorce and live in California,

Customer Question

If we are discussing a divorce and live in California, should I wait to refinance the house in my name? Basically would it be best to refinance first or file for divorce first?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good morning Lisa,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

If you have already mad an agreement with your spouse that you will take the house in the divorce, then it would be to your benefit to refinance it now----1. While the rates are still low, and 2. Before you file for divorce because you would have to petition the court for approval to refinance the home if you tried to do it in the middle of the divorce and you might not be granted permission to do so.

I would refinance before filing for divorce, if your spouse will agree to allow you to do so.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you? In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

If I have provided you with the information you were seeking, would you please now rate my service to you?

Thanks in advance,

Doug