FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

Recently wanted to get a copy of divorce papers (I've been

Customer Question

recently wanted to get a copy of divorce papers (I've been divorced for 23 years now) but found out that the divorce is still pending. Is there anything I can due without filing again?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 9 months ago.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. If the divorce is still pending and the case is still open, you can proceed and see if it can be finalized. You want to speak with the clerk of court and see what the reason was that the final decree was never signed by the Judge and entered into the system. If you did everything at the time, this could be a simply clerical error which caused it but if not, you can see if you can proceed and submit the final documents, since it is still open. Typically, a case this old would have been dismissed for sitting so long and not being moved along but since it is still pending, needs to be looked into. It is turns out that everything is outdated and the court will not proceed, then you have no other choice by to refile. I know it is not ideal but when the divorce was supposedly final, you should have received a copy of the final decree, for your records.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!