Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
26798026

My fathers house burned down yesterday. He is a felon (from

Customer Question

My fathers house burned down yesterday. He is a felon (from his 20's) he is now 61, never had any trouble since. After putting out the fire, they found 3 guns. They arrested him. What does he need to do? They go to pre trial tomorrow.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Possession of a gun by someone who's been convicted of a felony is a strict liability offense. All the state has to prove is that he had the guns and he didn't have a legal right to possess them. And that unfortunately makes this type of charge very difficult to defend. What he can do is plead not guilty and request a lawyer. This is a felony, and not something he should try to handle on his own. He has a constitutional right to have a lawyer appointed to represent him if he can't afford to hire a lawyer on his own. The lawyer will review the evidence and try to work out some kind of deal with the district attorney - they may be able to get the charges for one weapon dismissed if he's willing to plead to the others, or he can try to negotiate for a way to reduce or avoid jail time.

His lawyer can request pretrial release for your father if he is still in jail. He may be able to use a bail bondsman to put up most of the bail if he pays a fee, or he can sometimes put up his house as the bond.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. If I did not address the specific thing that you wanted to know, it may not have come across clearly to me, so please restate that question. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.