Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Married in mexico under bienes separable. Never registered

Customer Question

Married in mexico under bienes separable. Never registered it in California. Will the bienes separable hold up in a court hearing in California?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Husband is a non resident alien who has a large arrears from a previous marriage in California. Can court come after my assets if we were married in Mexico under the legal term of "bienes separados" which basically means what is mine is solely mine and vice verse before and during marriage.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Family Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Steven K. replied 9 months ago.

.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok, waiting for response from another lawyer-not Steven?
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 9 months ago.

A different Professional here.

The Court cannot come after your separate assets for your husband's debts. It does not matter if you were married in Mexico or California. So long as these are your separate assets, the Court cannot come after them. You need to make sure however that the assets remain separate--that you do not co-mingle them with your husband assets, that you do not add your husband's names on the title of the assets; that you maintain separate accounts; that you do not have joint accounts.