P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
11181181

Wondering if I can sue mistress in NJ of affection, Mistress

Customer Question

Wondering if I can sue mistress in NJ for alienation of affection
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Mistress for years and also had child
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Family Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 9 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I am sorry for this dilemma. Can you tell me, did the adultery take place in NJ? ANd the mistress lives there?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Presumably stays with a relative in nj
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I believe it has taken place in nj

Thank you
I ask because where the activities took place would be a potential for jurisdiction.

NJ law does not allow an "alienation of affection" lawsuit. There are only a handful of states in the US that do permit this. NJ is not one. So if she lives in NJ and the adultery took place there? You can not sue her

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that you can sue her, but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to answer them. If not please hit the accept button, its the only way I get credit for my work.