Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

How do you cohabitant and not lose alimony in Florida?

Customer Question

JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Divorced 10/14/2014 - I got house + alimony. Started dating the man that I work for. He and I are both considering renting our current homes and purchasing a home together. That said, it could be in my name only or his name only and I could pay rent, etc. Just trying to be creative...
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, if you are caught cohabitating the court has to terminate the spousal support. Spousal support is based on need and pursuant to ***** 61.14 the court can terminate an award of alimony when the court finds you are in a "supportive relationship" exists between the recipient and a person with whom the recipient resides who is not related to you by blood.
Your statement about "being creative" really means "I am trying to evade the law and continue to collect alimony" and if your former spouse finds out and files in court, the court will make you repay all of the money received and also pay your ex's attorney's fees as well for him having to take you to court.
To overcome the loss of alimony, you would have to be able to prove to the court that you are not living together, meaning you have to show you maintain your own house and live there and if you cannot do that, I am afraid there is no way to be creative to hid cohabitation.