How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Steven K. Your Own Question
Steven  K.
Steven K., Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2367
Experience:  I have practiced family law since 1996, focusing on child custody and domestic violence
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Steven K. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to petition to get my original birth certificate

Customer Question

I want to petition to get my original birth certificate released. I was adopted by a step-parent when I was 11 and her name is ***** ***** birth certificate.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I was born in Montgomery County Maryland in 1983and adopted in Fairfax County Virginia in 1996 after my father remarried. My mother had died in 1994.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Family Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Steven K. replied 1 year ago.

What exactly is your question?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to know how to petition the court to release my original birth certificate. I know I have to petition the court but want to know which court (is it where I was born or where I was adopted?) and what form I can use to get the document released.
Expert:  Steven K. replied 1 year ago.

You would have to file the petition in Maryland (where you were born.) There is Nikki standard form. You would have to prepare the petition from scratch. Most people hire a lawyer to do that.

Expert:  Steven K. replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, that's supposed to say, "That's no standard form..."

Related Family Law Questions