Steven  K.
Steven K., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I have practiced family law since 1996, focusing on child custody and domestic violence
44472555

In July of 1999 I got married 2nd time. reason my first wife

Customer Question

in July of 1999 I got married for a 2nd time. For some reason my first wife screw up our divorce so I got divorced right after that. so my 2nd wife did not want to be with me any more,now after almost 17 years her parents are taking me to small claims court and sueing me for $3600.00.is there some kind of statue of limitations on something like this
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Steven K. replied 1 year ago.

What is she suing you for?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For the amount they payed for wedding
Expert:  Steven K. replied 1 year ago.

I don't understand why they thin this would be your obligation. Were you still married to someone else at the time? Are they accusing you of fraud?

Expert:  Steven K. replied 1 year ago.

In what state is this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hawaii yes I was still married at the time but I didn't know that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got divorced from my 1st wife immediately after I found out.its not like I did it intentionally
Expert:  Steven K. replied 1 year ago.

Did they say in their court papers whether they were accusing you of fraud (doing it intentionally) or negligence (doing it by mistake?). Also, when did they discovery this issue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They just called me and said they filed papers in court today I didn't receive it yet.as soon as I found out I told my 2nd wife immediately. About a year after we got married
Expert:  Steven K. replied 1 year ago.

The statute of limitations is two years. In the case of fraud, the two years doesn't begin until the person discovers they have been defrauded. If her parents learned of it on the past two years and they are alleging that you did this intentionally, it might be within the permissible tube period for filing suit. But more likely, the statute of limitations has run out. You need to get a copy of the court papers to be sure.. They should provide you with a copy, or you can go to the courthouse and purchase a copy.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok then I will let u know what it says thank you very much
Expert:  Steven K. replied 1 year ago.

Chat with you soon!