Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I am a military wife going thorough a divorce in Illinois.

Customer Question

I am a military wife going thorough a divorce in Illinois. Back in September 2015 after he hit me several times I fled Illinois in the middle of the night to family in Missouri. My husband filed for dissolution and custody of our two kids. Since I didn't have want him to locate me, i went to a domestic violence shelter, where i currently reside. After filing for welfare and child support he found out where I was. He is active military officer with US Navy. A military advocate contacted me to inform that a court date was schedule for dissolution. I was never served papers for the divorce.
My parents assisted me with legal counsel and I just learn that a guardian ad litem has been appointed for the kids and a court ordered to return kids to Illinois to appear in court. What can I do? I have a prior conviction for DUI and really fear for my safety and losing my kids. What can be done?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 9 months ago.

I am so sorry to read about this.

Get the domestic violence shelter to assist you in getting an Attorney in Illinois to appear on your behalf and to tell the Court why you cannot appear in Court or bring the kids back to Illinois, and that you are afraid of your safety and the safety of your children. You can also use the following sites to find Illinois divorce Attorneys:

Lawyers.com

Justia.com

Findlaw.com

Consumeradvocates.org

Best wishes,