John, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed and practicing attorney.
71296933

How can I determine if my wife and I are eligible payments.

Customer Question

How can I determine if my wife and I are eligible for SSI payments. We live in Arkansas.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

An individual requesting S.S.I. payments must not only be aged, blind, or disabled, but must also meet the guidelines relating to income and resources; namely: (1) Income, which after applying exclusions (including significant earned income exclusions), is less than the current federal benefit rate ($1066 per couple) plus any applicable state supplement. The S.S.I. benefit payable is the difference between the countable income and the federal benefit rate plus any state supplement. (2) Countable resources that are worth $2,000 or less for an individual or $3,000 for a couple. To be considered disabled there must be an inability to engage in any substantial gainful activity by reason of any medically determinable physical or mental impairment which can be expected to result in death or which has or can be expected to last for a continuous period of not less than twelve months. Ultimately to know whether you fit this description of disability you'd have to file for benefits with the Social Security Administration.

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as itis the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.