Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

How do I go about getting gaurdianship of my granddaughter

Customer Question

How do I go about getting gaurdianship of my granddaughter who is only 14 years old.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

If the father involved at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Thank you.

Given that, I assume that the mother has full custody of the child. In that case, you can file a petition for guardianship with the local court in the county where the child lives. If the mother consents, she can issue a joinder in the case and inform the court that she agrees with the request for guardianship. You will likely also have to name the father as a defendant in the matter and serve him with process (either personally OR by publication in the local newspaper if he can't be found).

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

So, it shouldn't be much of a imposition on you to get this done if the mother is agreeable and the father is not involved in the child's life.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you need anything further. Thanks very much!