Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

My husband who is a divorce attorney has asked me divorce.

Customer Question

My husband who is a divorce attorney has asked me for a divorce. If I do not agree he said he will serve me with papers. I am concerned as we have two children in college and he wants us to sell the house and the children, neither of whom is well ,will not be able to return home to their own rooms. Therefore at what age does he still have to provide for the children?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Can you please tell me how old the children are now? Are they both over 18?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

At this point, neither parent has a duty of room and board for the child. Because they are over 18, there is no duty to provide housing for them. In addition, child support ends when they are 18 AND no longer in high school. So they would not be getting child support. The Court may at its discretion order partial tuition fee duty to either/both parent(s).

Otherwise, he would have no mandate to provide for them unless he agrees.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.