How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 18580
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My girlfriend lives in Texas, and I'm in Arizona. The

Customer Question

My girlfriend lives in Texas, and I'm in Arizona. The following will sound a little crazy, so let me preface this to say that we dated 15 years ago, and I've always thought that she was 'the one that got away', and was extremely excited when she contacted me out of the blue. I have been supporting her since she left her husband mid-2014 (paid for her attorney(s), expenses, etc. She has a 3 year old child that she receives child support for, but has no other income (except me). Until September of last year I have been transferring money into her account to cover her rent and expenses. Last September I downsized in Arizona (leased a condo), and moved to Texas (90% of my belongings are in Texas). I have been flying back/forth 2 to 3 times a month as a I have a business here in Arizona. The relationship is not working out, and she has been very difficult telling me that she's going to pack up my belongings and put them in storage (I have a storage unit in Texas where the majority of my belongings have been stored while we were looking for a larger home). Problem is, I don't have a key to the storage unit and she won't give it to me (she set it up for me, although I pay for it). Also, I'm concerned about getting back my belongings - I've got computers, office equipment, almost all of my clothes and personal items in the house. I want this to go smoothly, but don't want to waste a trip going out there if she is not going to cooperate. I'm guessing that I need to get an attorney, but kind of attorney? Also, I have an amazing relationship with her daughter, and so I do not want to do anything that would create any type of hardship. I just want my belonging back, and I want her to stop using my cc's (forgot about that, she has my debit card #***** and although she doesn't go crazy, she's still using it for on-line orders).
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

You need to send her a note that you just want to come and take your things and that you do not want to involve the Court. That all she needs to do is to have the keys available so that you can get your things out of the storage, but if she continues to refuse to cooperate, then you do not have any choice but to file Complaint in Replevin against her. This is a civil complaint in Texas to get your things back. You would need a local Attorney who handles civil litigation to assist you with the case.

You can use the following sites to find local Attorneys:

You may also file Police Report for unlawful confiscation of your personal properties.

As for your debit card, you can simply contact your bank and change the number and tell her that the card she has is no longer good and that you have cut her access to your account.

Best wishes,