Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
26296561

How much trouble can you get into if you do not return a

Customer Question

How much trouble can you get into if you do not return a child to the other parent after a visit.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** am a US licensed attorney and I will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.
Please note, I cannot comment on your specific situation, as this services is only limited to general information and for any legal advice / legal service you should contact your local attorney.

Does the other parent have residential custody of the minor child?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am the step mom. They have shared custody. They split 50/50. He does go to school in Michigan where she is currently living. She has other issues just been a struggle to get help for my husband as he has been trying to get custody of him. I think this is what you are asking me. I might have given a little more than you need. Sorry about that.

Thank you for your follow up.

It is never a good idea not to comply with the court ordered custody / visitation, as such failure to comply can subject the non-complying parent to be held in contempt of court and if the non-complying parent is held in contempt, then the court can also order various sanctions against the non-complying parent, which can range from fines and payment of other parent's legal fees and court costs to the non-complying parent being sent to jail.

So, generally, if the parent wants to change child custody / visitation, such modification would have to be done through the court that has ordered current child custody/ visitation.

I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I had a feeling you were going to say that. There have been a lot of dead roads while trying to get her back to court. From what we are learning there has to be physical or sexual abuse going on. What about getting an advocate for him? How do we go about that?

Thank you for your follow up.

Generally, the court where child custody proceedings are pending, can appoint an attorney for the minor child, who is called Guardian ad Litum, upon the motion from one of the parties or the state child protective agency.

I wish you the best of luck!