Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

When child support is calculated through the court is it

Customer Question

when child support is calculated through the court is it based off of my salary alone and my daughter's father OR my household income meaning me and my husband's as well as her father's salary, my ex husband? We live in NJ
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
NJ uses the "income shares model" for child support. This means your gross monthly income and the father's gross monthly income are used in determining the total monthly support obligation. Once the total monthly support obligation is determined, the statutory child support tables are used to determine the mother's share and father's share of support.
Your new husband's income is NOT used in determining your income, only the mother's income and father's income.
Here is a NJ Child Support Calculator that you can use to determine your approximate support: http://www.njchildsupport.org/resources-forms/other-resources/guidelines-calculator/guidelines-calculator.aspx
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.