Steven  K.
Steven K., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I have practiced family law since 1996, focusing on child custody and domestic violence
44472555

I was living with my son and s wife a year. I had my

Customer Question

I was living with my son and his wife for over a year. I had my grandson and granddaughter 24-7. They are 4 and 2 yrs. of age. Before I moved in with then i would drive all the time to their house to watch them. They are really close to me and calls me GaGa. I told them I was moving out in November. They just had another baby boy in which I have not seen him yet. I was their and there youngest son had her old cell phone and was in her messages. I took the phone from him and looked down and seen that it was about me, my daughter- in law was texting my son and her mom,saying terrible things about me. I confronted her about it and she told me to get the "f" out. I made copies of all the texts the she wrote. I never wanted any money to watch my grandchildren. I took them to my doctors appointments with me. I even had them when they were home, they both wanted me to watch tv with them all the time, I did a lot with them. I was told that Indiana has no visitation rights law. I did contact my son and asked him if I could see my grandchildren and he told me that my grandson wanted to know where GaGa is at, my son told him that I had a new house, a job and was contributing to society. Is there that I can do to get visitation rights?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Steven K. replied 10 months ago.

Unfortunately, in Indiana, grandparents can only ask a court to order visitation with their grandchildren if: 1) the children's parent is deceased, 2) the children's parents have been divorced (in certain circumstances), or 3) the children were born out-of-wedlock. Since your son and his wife are married and not divorcing, your only recourse is to convince them to let you have a relationship with the children. Do you have any other questions?