FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

I'm representing myself in a child custody case, so how

Customer Question

I'm representing myself in a child custody case, so how do I file a motion for continuance?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good evening. First, you would want to contact the other party and see if they will agree to it or oppose it. If they agree, it can be an agreed order, if it was set by them but if it was not and set by the court, then you could advise the Judge there is no objection. In the body of the motion, you want to explain to the Judge why you need it continued and show good cause. Then, you file it with the clerk of court and send copies to all parties, including the Judge. As long as you have a good faith basis to ask that it be continued, the Judge should grant it.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!