Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Experience:  18 years of litigation experience.
18321761

I gave my 14 year old daughter 1mg of xanex during a panic

Customer Question

I gave my 14 year old daughter 1mg of xanex during a panic attack and now dhs is enabled wanting me to give a statement.. What should I do?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

You're in between a rock and a hard place, because if DHS is investigating you, they assume you're guilty in the first place. If you make a statement to DHS, anything you say to them can potentially be used against you and depending upon exactly what they've been told and are looking for, this might mean that your child could be taken from the household. If you don't make a statement to DHS, on the other hand, they will see you as uncooperative and decide that there must be merit to what they are investigation and your child could be taken from the household anyway.

The best way to deal with DHS is to be polite rather than uncooperative, to volunteer as little information to them as you can and then only in the presence of an attorney, if that's possible.