Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
91018665

My cousin has been living with my mom last seven to ten

Customer Question

My cousin has been living with my mom for the last seven to ten years. My mom has recently been diagonosed with Altziemers/dementia . My cousin, has paid no rent, no utilities, nothing. We buy most of the food. I have been paying my cousin, 3000, month to "be there" for my mom, but only recently. As I did not want my mom to be alone. I have care givers coming in seven days a week. My mom, is terrified to be alone.
My cousin, just recently took a job, that requires her to leave at 6:30 in the morning and that leaves my mom alone for up to four hours each morning. I am very worried and upset about it. Can I get my cousin to move, and how soon? I can and am willing to pay for someone else to be there for my mom. I just do not want her to be alone . My mom is unsafe, in my opinion. Is a thirty day notice an option. Please help me? All I want is to keep my mom as happy and safe as possible in her own home, as I can. I am her trustee.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

I admire your love for your mom. You first need to get a power of attorney to make such decisions on her behalf. You should treat your cousin like a month to month tenant and give them 30 days notice to vacate.