originallawyer
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  9+ years of experience in divorce, custody battles and mediation.
74576488

I am currently married to a Mexican citizen, we were married

Customer Question

Hi I am currently married to a Mexican citizen, we were married in Mexico. He has since left me and is now living in Mexico, I would like to file for divorce. I currently live in Florida and have for several years, before he left he lived here also as a legal resident. What I would like to know is since we have no property or assets together, or children can I file for divorce here? I really want to get this over with, he is not returning.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  originallawyer replied 1 year ago.

You can file for divorce here, but you will have to have him served with the the divorce papers notifying him of the divorce. OR If he'll agree to the divorce, he can sign a waiver of service or a final decree.

If you get him served and he doesn't respond to the divorce proceeding or he agrees to everything, the process is fairly simple.

Here are the forms to get you started:

http://www.flcourts.org/resources-and-services/court-improvement/problem-solving-courts/family-courts/family-law-forms.stml