N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Experience:  since 1983
9653905

Need to have an on the border wedding to process future

Customer Question

Need to have an on the border wedding to process future husbands legal papers. Where are this weddings being performed?
Submitted: 10 months ago via USmarriagelaws.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for your question.

Please clarify why you want to wedding to take place near the border.

Where would you like to have it performed?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
An on the border wedding is considered a wedding inside the us, which would be the best option to start my fiance paperwork for resident card? Brownsville? Would be perfect city to do it

You can apply for a fiance visa, see

https://www.uscis.gov/family/family-us-citizens/fiancee-visa/fiancee-visas

and then marry in any State within 90 days.

Having him enter the US on a tourist visa and then get married is much more complicated than just getting married after he enters using a fiance visa. The immigration service does not look favorably on tourists who enter the US to marry when their original intent was to marry and not to be a tourist.

You can get a free consultation from some of the immigration attorneys listed by location here.

Please follow up on this with a local attorney.

I hope this information is helpful.

I hope this information is helpful.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Your answer was some what helpful. I was told that if we married on the border it would be considered a us wedding which would make the paperwork a faster process

As far as I know the correct procedure to to get a fiance visa before getting married in the U.S.

A wedding legally cannot take place exactly on the border, only one country can have jurisdiction, so the wedding can be in Mexico or the U.S., but not both.

It is easier to prove the validity of a U.S. wedding to the immigration bureaucracy so applying for a fiance visa and having the wedding in the U.S. is the preferred alternative