How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27010
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If the parents have joint custody when does the child have

Customer Question

if the parents have joint custody when does the child have the right to say which parent he wishes to live with in South ***** ***** my name is***** am the fraternal grandmother
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He is 14 and wishes to stay during the week with his father and continue the every other week end with both parents.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Family Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.


This is Samuel. Thanks for requesting me to provide you this information.

Which South? It was blocked. Is it Carolina or Dakota?

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Also, are the parents in agreement with this?

If he stays with the Father during the week, will that mean he needs to transfer schools?

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Ok. So I will provide information for both because they are similar.

In South Carolina, the child can be heard by a judge and if he judge feels that the child is able to fully understand the situation, then the court may appoint a Guardian Ad Litem to represent the child. The GAL/attorney will then do a home investigation and talk to each parent to make a recommendation to the court as to what they feel is in the best interest of the child.

In South Dakota, a child's wishes will be considered by a judge if the child appears to be making a reasonable decision, they will not be the only factor, however. Children can only make a unilateral decision about who to live with after they have turned 18.

But in either state the court will listen to the child. And a GAL can be appointed.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

There is no specific age in either South Carolina or South Dakota which guarantees the child's wishes will be granted. Both look at the best interest of the child.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know here if you have other questions or need any clarification in this matter. Otherwise, I would appreciate a positive rating as that is how I get credit for my time and true and correct information provided.

Related Family Law Questions