TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

My ex and I have and agreement we each claim a child but I

Customer Question

My ex and I have and agreement we each claim a child but I just found out he claimed both what should I do
Category: Family Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

Unfortunately, the IRS doesn't generally care about agreements between parents. The person who can claim the children is the parent who has the child for most of the time during the year, etc. However, if your agreement was signed off by a judge, then the IRS will generally adhere to it. If that is the case, then you should simply claim your child as usual. If the IRS comes knocking because two parents claimed the child, then you show the IRS the agreement and your ex will get into trouble rather than you.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.