How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2922
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm hoping to get married. Being military, that's a little

Customer Question

I'm hoping to get married. Being military, that's a little more complicated when we're told to move. I just got stationed in Japan and my significant other lives in the USA. Is there anyway we could finalize the process online or would we have to be in a courtroom together?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

A proxy marriage is a marriage where someone stands in for the other party. That is, either the bride or the groom is not physically present for the wedding. During the solemnization of the marriage, based upon a power of attorney, an agent acts on behalf of one of the parties. Luckily Texas along with 3 other states in the U.S. allow proxy marriage in 1 form or another. California, Montana and Colorado are the other states. See Texas Statute below.


These two sections of the Texas Statues, Family Code, were changed by the Texas Legislature in HB 869 and became effective September 1, 2013.

The individual requesting the proxy by marriage must be serving in the military and stationed outside of the country.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site.

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Just checking back in, did you have any further questions?

Related Family Law Questions