Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
91018665

I have been legally separated 1/2 years. I sometimes still

Customer Question

I have been legally separated for 1 1/2 years. I sometimes still live with her on and off. After separation all acquired assets/debts are our own separate property?
Is their any instance where this would not be true?
I live in California
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

Are you separated with a formal, written agreement signed by her?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

If you have a formal separation agreement, then property acquired after the date of the agreement can be considered separate property

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are their any conditions where I would have to share assets refer to my question, even if live w here for months at a time on and off?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does the written agreement have to include any thing specific with regard to assets etc
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

I think she could challenge based on your partial reconciliation when you lived together that the assets and income you have accrued should also be considered part of the marital estate. You need to either proceed with the divorce and not cohabitate while legally separated as you risk exposing more of your assets. If you want to rdconcile that is fine too.

Sorry reconcile