Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

In a few weeks I am going to become a grandmother first

Customer Question

In a few weeks I am going to become a grandmother for the first time. The mother of my granddaughter and I both live in Ulster County, New York.
My son, the father of the baby lives in North Carolina and has told my niece (I took care of her first three children from birth), that if I thought I was going to see my granddaughter he was going to have the courts make my visits supervised.
I am 61 years young and quite capable of caring for my granddaughter, which is more than I can say about my son - considering he tried to get the mother to have an abortion!
I know where she is going to be born, when she is due, her name and have seen her sonograms.
I am so excited about this and because my son hasn't spoken to me since his dad passed away 10/14/11, except to press charges against his half brother for stealing from me. I was very adamant about saying "NO", but I have never been able to say no to him. Which of course the rest of his dads family knew as I raised him alone. They all dropped their charges when my son talked me into pressing them, and on New Years Eve 2014 his brother overdosed and now blames me for his half brothers death. Had I of known that they had all dropped their charges when I pressed them, I would have dropped mine too.
I didn't press charges against his dad when he beat me at 71/2 mos. and the baby was premature and died three days later from brain hemorrhage. I was 22 at the time and could never get pregnant again
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good evening. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Just to be clear, is the mother willing to allow you to see and visit with the child?

Hi, are you still with me?