How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris T., JD Your Own Question
Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 4820
Experience:  I have assisted many customers and clients with their family law questions and I'm experienced in family law litigation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Chris T., JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an adopted child,Born in Albany,NY.Have adoption

Customer Question

I am an adopted child,Born in Albany,NY.Have adoption papers.At that time,my records were sealed.Would like to know how to open to find out about biological parents and medical info.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.

Do you only want to unseal the records to get medical information, or are you attempting to find out the identities of your biological parents?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.

OK. Getting your medical records may not be a huge issue, but being able to identify your biological parents may be. Adoption records are fairly easily unsealed to obtain medicla information, but the clerk of the court will redact out all information that identifies your biological parents, under most circumstances.

1. Adoption files can be opened to obtain medical information. They cannot be opened to obtain identifying information, such as the name(s) of the birth parent(s).

2. To receive medical information, you may contact the Adoption Information Registry. For more information, go to web site:

To contact the Adoption Information Registry in writing, the address is:

Adoption Information Registry
New York State Department of Health
P.O. Box 2602
Albany, NY###-##-####br />
3. Adopted people may petition the Court to have access to the sealed adoption records for the following reasons: to obtain medical information or for good cause other than to obtain medical information (i.e. to establish that the adopted person is a Native American Child, subject to the Indian Child Welfare Act of 1978).

To petition the Court to gain access to the sealed adoption file on medical grounds, you must attach to the petition a medical certification from a physic***** *****censed to practice medicine in the State of New York addressing a serious physical or mental illness. Such certification needs to identify the information required to address said illness.

If such request to open a sealed file is granted, the Court will appoint a non-interested party (an attorney) to review the file.

4. If an adopted person never received their amended birth certificate, they can then petition the Court to have the record unsealed in order that the necessary information can be obtained and then submitted to Vital Records. Court personnel will review the file, not the petitioner.


Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any questions? If so, feel free to ask. If not, please remember to "rate" my answer before you go.