Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
10707909

After a job change support can u go back on past earnings to

Customer Question

after a job change for child support can u go back on past earnings to get except payment from spouse
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

I am unclear what you are asking? Does someone owe back support? Can you explain a bit more briefly please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no back support mom has changed job to take lesser pay to get more child support so can I go back to past potential earnings to establish child support payment and how many years if so
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

I understand.

In these situations, the court will look at the parent's "Earning ability" One parent cannot self impoverish or take a lower pay in an effort to avoid their share of support to a child.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

So In your case, the court should go back 3 to 5 years and then calculate her earning potential based on her income during that time.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

You can provide her education, skills, work experience and her earnings for 3 to 5 years prior for the court, yes.