LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
63726236

I live in NJ. I'am having an affair and wish to leave my

Customer Question

I live in NJ. I'am having an affair and wish to leave my wife. Have no childeren, ansd wife makes the same amount of cash as me. What do I need to do to be prepared? and what are the first several steps I need to take?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for your patience.

(I apologize - I had to edit; for some reason my posts came through in the wrong order)

If a party is claiming fault (adultery) the party claiming that must prove the adultery.

To obtain a no fault divorce (most common)

I hope I've answered your question to your satisfaction. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask and I will get do my best-- If I have fully answered your question to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! Thank you; it's been a pleasure to assist you.

• You or your spouse must have lived in New Jersey for 12 consecutive months before the filing of the divorce complaint.

• You and your spouse must have experienced irreconcilable differences for six months.

• The irreconcilable differences make it appear that the marriage should be dissolved.

• There is no reasonable prospect of reconciliation.

• Here is the law re: equitable division of property- basically the fair division of property (fair does not necessarily mean equal):
    ftp://www.njleg.state.nj.us/19961997/A0500/82_i1.pdf

This will walk one through the steps- the first step being filing a complaint and serving the other party:

http://www.lsnjlaw.org/publications/pages/manuals/divorceguide.pdf

Link to forms: http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/prose/

Generally the courts will not award alimony if both parties have the same income.

The posts are still going through in an odd order.

Please let me know if the above makes sense.

--------------------------------------
Here is a link to locate an attorney:
http://apps.americanbar.org/legalservices/findlegalhelp/home.cfm

Should you have further questions please post here to continue our dialogue. Otherwise,

kindly rate positively

as I am an individual contributor and rely on positive ratings to receive compensation for providing the requested information - this does not result in additional charges to the customer, but rather allows the site to credit my account a percentage to compensate me for my time.

THANK YOU!