Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
19958803

My husband has been given deeded trust land as an

Customer Question

My husband has been given deeded trust land as an inheritance. It is on an indian reservation and I am not a native American. Do I have any right to a percentage of the profits from the sale of the land even if it is sold after the divorce is final??
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Do I have any right to a percentage of the profits from the sale of the land even if it is sold after the divorce is final?

.

No, as a general rule, anything that a couple acquires during a marriage is considered marital property and is divided upon a divorce. But there are two big exceptions...gifts and inheritances. Those are considered the separate property of the person who receives them and not marital property subject to division in a divorce.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks