KJL LAW
KJL LAW, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney at law Office of KJLLAW
92128996

I have to pay my ex 23% net of my yearly bonus every

Customer Question

I have to pay my ex 23% net of my yearly bonus every February. I have two children but one turned 18 last August. What should I have to pay?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 10 months ago.

No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

What state do you live in, and is there a support order which addresses the support term?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I live in New Hampshire. There is a support order but doesn't specify an end date.
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 10 months ago.

Good morning. If there is no language in the support order, then New Hampshire law holds as follows: N.H. Rev. Stat. Ann. §461-A:14(IV), "The amount of a child support obligation shall remain as stated in the order until the dependent child for whom support is ordered completes his or her high school education or reaches the age of 18 years, whichever is later, or marries, or becomes a member of the armed services, at which time the child support obligation, including all educational support obligations, terminates without further legal action. If the parties have a child with disabilities, the court may initiate or continue the child support obligation after the child reaches the age of 18. No child support order for a child with disabilities which becomes effective after July 9, 2013 may continue after the child reaches age 21." However, if it is being taken out directly from your salary then it is always a good idea to contact the Division of Child Support services to make sure that they know the child has turned 18 so that the payments are stopped, even though the support obligation terminates without further legal action.