How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 101984
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In Minnesota. My spouse and I did a online divorce. We

Customer Question

In Minnesota. My spouse and I did a online divorce. We filled out the proper forms.
We had them notarized and filed them with the court. Months later after our property was splint and both parties split and moved on. I received an email from a lawyer saying she was representing my wife. Attached was a new divorce agreement. They instructed me to sign and have it notarized and returned. Now I have to go to court next week. Is our original agreement enforceable
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information only for educational purposes only, and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Can you please tell me if after you filed the divorce papers, did the Judge sign a divorce decree order? Or, not? Or, not sure?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

Then your divorce was never finalized. There is any number of reasons why this could have happened:

1) The paperwork was incorrect,

2) No proposed decree was sent for the Court to sign (the court will not draft its own decree, and requires the parties to submit a "proposed" order for signature),

3) The Court required an oral hearing before signing off on the decree,

4) Or, something else.

The point is, that the divorce was not finished. And if no movement was done on it in about 6 months, it may have been even dismissed.

I do not know whether what the attorney send you is part of the original divorce, or a new action since the original divorce was dismissed.

Regardless, the original petition you filed is likely not enforceable, I am afraid. The only way that it can be is if you and her signed any contract that stipulates what the two of you agree on (NOT the petition, but something else) that would act as a post-nuptial agreement - that would be binding (the divorce would still have to be pushed through, but at least the terms of that contract would then be enforceable).

Otherwise, this may be from scratch.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I am checking in because you have not rated positively. To me this means you may have another question, or may have just forgotten to rate. Please let me know – I am simply touching base. Thanks!

Related Family Law Questions