How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9396
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to sell my house and move into senior housing? How

Customer Question

I want to sell my house and move into senior housing? How can I transfer the proceeds directly to my children?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

I'm looking for any authority to do this and it will be a few more minutes. Is there a reason the proceeds should be paid directly to the children?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the late response. Yes. Because I would like to go into senior living in a couple years and want to give me assets to my kids now.
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

Unfortunately most title companies will not pay the proceeds to a third party. In fact, most insurance companies will not insure a title company that pays proceeds to a third party because it may complicate the transaction and can result in an insurance claim being made (if for example the proceeds are paid to the wrong third party).

Also, please keep in mind that government programs (such as medicare) have a 60 month look back period, so that any transfers made during that time frame, which do not have fair consideration paid, can result in the denial of government subsidies.

Some parents will quit claim their residence to the children,and then allow the children to sell the home, and then the children, as legal owners, keep the proceeds.

The children will need to pay taxes on the capital gains as they do not receive the stepped up tax basis that they receive if they inherit the property.

It can also involve gift tax: information here:

If certain steps are taken, the property won't be subject to reappraisal resulting in a higher property tax bill: