MIAMILAW1127
MIAMILAW1127, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Founding Partner at Moises Law, P.A.
89829185

, Thanks. I have a situation, where my wife and I live

Customer Question

Customer: Hello
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Thanks for speaking. I have a situation, where my wife and I live separately (I in California and my wife in New York, and have been living separately for the past 2-3 yours), and we plan to file for divorce shortly. She defrauded me to the amount of US$ 350,000, which is the grounds on which I plan to file for divorce. I'd like to find out if I am legally responsible for her medical bills until the divorce is finalized.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Family Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 10 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for contacting me. I am a consultant here and I am looking forward to assisting you with your question. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Please be patient as I will be typing my responses to you from scratch. Also, I can only answer/address the questions you ask specifically based on the information your provide. Please try to provide as much information as possible so I can best assist you.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

The short answer is maybe. You are both equally responsible for any debts incurred during the course of the marriage. So, what this means is that, even if you don't pay for the debts she accumulates, she can try to assign them to you during the divorce proceedings. That is a toss up on how the judge views it (which I know is not what you want to hear).

I hope this helps. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Thank you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
hi, I have a follow up question...

Absolutely. How can I help you?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The question I had was that:
1. I was paying for her medical coverage as my dependent.
2. But since we are planning to file for divorce shortly, and since I had given her US$350,000 (to buy a house), but she refuses to show how that $350,000 was spent. Due to this, I had canceled her being my dependent on my (company provided) medical coverage .
3. Does she have the legal right (including from New York, or California laws), to force me to re-instate the medical coverage as my dependent ?Thanks.

The payment for the phone call failed. Please try again and let me know so I can work with you.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
hi -- Are you available now, to either chat via email, or for a call ? Thanks.

Still a no go. The payment hasn't cleared.