Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
26798026

If i lived with my boy friend gor 12yrs can i get pary of s

Customer Question

if i lived with my boy friend gor 12yrs can i get pary of his retirement benefis
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

California law unfortunately does not give unmarried couples any rights to property owned by a partner. You'd only have a right to your boyfriend's retirement if he signed something specifically giving you that right. California does not recognize common law marriage, and there is no ability to gain property rights simply by living with someone for an extended period of time.

I apologize that this was probably not the Answer you were hoping to receive. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

Good luck.