How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask N Cal Attorney Your Own Question
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9132
Experience:  since 1983
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
N Cal Attorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and children are Americans,I am in America boots

Customer Question

My husband and children are Americans,I am in America boots and my children with their father in Cambodia,I wasn't a divorce and want my children, he refuses...what are my rights
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.


This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

Please tell me are the children with you in the US? What state? Why do you want a divorce?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, the children are with him in Cambodia. I am in tx.and yes I want a divorce
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want a divorce bc he has ptsd from the war time in Afghanistan and I can't deal with him any longer. I had to come back to ttc for medical reasons and wasn't able to bring my children,I had tried about 3 weeks ago but he stopped me at the airport in Cambodia.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. I am going to opt out and another professional here will help you. There is no need to reply at this time and your deposit will remain in tact.

Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 1 year ago.

New Expert here.

Did your husband and children previously live in Texas?

If so, how long did they live there? How long ago did they leave?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they lived in Tx., they left about 7 months ago. I just flew back too Tx last week for medical reasons
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 12 months ago.

Did you maintain a residence in Texas while you were in Cambodia?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
No residence was maintained while we lived in Cambodia.
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 12 months ago.

I am sorry but I cannot phone you.

indicates that Texas currently does not have jurisdiction unless you maintained a legal domicile there while you were in Cambodia. Domicile is a question of intent. If you kept a Texas drivers license or voted in Texas while staying in Cambodia, you can argue that you did maintain your domicile there. But you would still have to remain in one County in Texas for 90 days prior to filing there for divorce.

Cambodia does appear to have jurisdiction to issue a divorce decree, see

There are divorce lawyers in Cambodia listed at

and some at

I am sorry this is not the answer you had hoped for, but it would be unfair to you, and unprofessional of me, not to provide accurate information.

I hope this information is helpful.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thank you for your counsel.
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 12 months ago.

I am sorry but State Bar rules prevent me from telephoning you.

If you want me to opt out and open your question to the other Experts, I can do that.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
No thank you
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 12 months ago.


Related Family Law Questions