FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

Will my 11 year old's shoplifting record be destroyed when

Customer Question

Will my 11 year old's shoplifting record be destroyed when he's 18 years old if he was convicted in Virginia?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. This is not something that will automatically be done. This is something which you would have to do and can likely be done, as a result of your 11 year old being convicted of a misdemeanor crime. The expungement process for juvenile records is governed by Virginia Code § 16.1-306: "[T]he clerk of the juvenile and domestic relations district court shall, on January 2 of each year or on a date designated by the court, destroy its files, papers and records, including electronic records, connected with any proceeding concerning a juvenile in such court, if such juvenile has attained the age of 19 years and five years have elapsed since the date of the last hearing in any case of the juvenile which is subject to this section." As such, you would need and want to petition the court, for this to happen.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!