RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

I have just found out that my fiancé's step daughter, whom I

Customer Question

I have just found out that my fiancé's step daughter, whom I first met 2 years ago and has hated me ever since: sending me horrendous e-mails, doing a back round check on me, sending viruses to my computer, calling me names by phone (always using the excuse that her step dad should be with no one, least of all me), has actually been having an affair with him for 7 0r 8 yrs. while he and her mother lived in NY, and then mostly an emotional affair after he moved here to Fla. After he met me she refused to accept me, but always kept him on a string, even though they were demographically apart: plenty of phone calls and private conversations. I still didn't catch on, and we became engaged and set a wedding date of Dec. 24th. The day after Thanksgiving he finally gave up out of frustration, and told me why she was so hateful. He said that he was afraid to be honest before because if he was she would tell all and I would leave him. The funny thing is that she was the one with everything to lose, her husband, two daughters, and a grandson! I have trouble believing he could be so naïve. They have both made my life a living hell with all of the deception and lies. Now that she knows that I am aware, she has blocked every way of communication whether by phone or e-mail between her father or myself (looking for another side to the story). She is now claiming that he is a very sick man and made all of this up in his mind and that it never happened. I know that it did, because when he called her to tell her that I knew, her first question that I heard was "why did you tell her?, what if she tells someone?" I hate what they have both done to me for 2 years, but at least he came clean and she is going to continue to lie to keep her life innocent and safe with her husband. This feels so unfair to me considering the devastation that I felt to lose the man that I was so in love with and never would have believed EVER that he was a cheater, lier, or would partake in an intimate relationship with his own wife's daughter. I am not a vengeful or vindictive person, but I do not feel in any way that it is the right thing to do to let her get away with this without a second glance backward. Not only did I come to love the person that I thought her stepdad was, but so did my children and my grandchildren. They still don't even know, I am too humiliated and embarrassed at my own stupidity to explain it to them. Would you please find it in your heart to advise me as to what would be my best course of action to take at this point? Respectfully, ***** ***** e-mail: ***@******.*** or tel:(###) ###-####Can this be an alienation of affection suit, or is it not even worth it??
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.

I'm sorry to hear about what happened -- I can only imagine how painful that must be and how you must feel. Unfortunately, because it is my job as a lawyer to be completely honest with a person, even when the law may not be in their favor, I have to tell you that from a legal standpoint, you have no recourse. Florida has abolished causes of action for alienation of affection, seduction, criminal conversation, and breach of contract to marry. About the only cause of action there might be would be for defamation of character, if she was making false statements to others about you, but you would have to be able to prove significant damages as a result of what was said to even have a lawyer consider taking the matter on (which is why typically, the only defamation cases you really hear about are public figures like politicians and celebrities suing).

While I don't condone what was done, your best course of action is to work every day to try and move on and learn to be happy, and not let the poison that is this woman hold dominion over you or your life. I certainly wouldn't blame yourself for any of this -I think when you love someone so much, a person becomes blind to the thought that the person they love so much would hurt them...but regrettably that happens sometimes.

I wish I could tell you some better news, or provide you some legal recourse. If you need clarification or additional information, please reply and I'm happy to assist you further. Otherwise, kindly remember to leave me a positive rating (3-5 stars) prior to signing out, as that is the only way a portion of your deposit is paid to me, and the only way experts on this site are compensated for their time and expertise. Thank you!

Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.

If you have no further follow-up questions regarding this matter, remember to leave me a positive rating (3-5 stars), as that is the only way a portion of your deposit is paid to me, and the only way experts on this site are compensated for their time and expertise. Thank you!