Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Experience:  18 years of litigation experience.
18321761

My 29-year old son lives with me, is a drug addict, and I

Customer Question

My 29-year old son lives with me, is a drug addict, and I recently discovered he stole hundreds of dollars in cash and jewelry and a laptop. Can I have him arrested and press charges?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

The fact that he is your son and lives with you does not give him the right to steal your property. Yes, if you want to have him prosecuted, you can report the theft to the police and ask that charges be pressed against you. You would almost certainly get a restraining order in your favor, which would mean your son would be expected to find somewhere else to live and would not be allowed any contact with you while the case is open. If charges are pressed and one of your reasons for doing this is to see that he gets some help with his addiction, you can mention that to the prosecutor and he or she can offer a plea bargain that could take your wishes into consideration.