Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
26296561

What can happen to an attorney who has several civil

Customer Question

What can happen to an attorney who has several civil contempt charges against them can their license be suspended
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** will be happy to answer your question.

Can you please provide me with more details about this situation, including the nature of the civil contempt charges and the contempt charges have been resolved?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The nature of the case include a family member of mine who husband is a practicing attorney there was a court order in place forbidding the attorney's mistress from being around their minor child on three separate occasion the minor was in the presence of the female who the court order was against and on three other occasions the child support payments were either not paid or not paid to the full amount in a timely fashion currently I'm an undergraduate majoring in legal studies I just would like to know what the consequences are.

Thank you for your follow up.

Did the court actually held this attorney in contempt for either violating court order and/or non-payment of court ordered child support?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No not to my knowledge

Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, generally, the state Bar would not take any disciplinary action against an active attorney, until and unless the attorney is held in contempt of court by the judge, however, if the judge does hold an active attorney in contempt of court, then such contempt can be reported to the state Bar and the Bar will review all the facts related to the contempt of court and could pursue disciplinary action if it is determined by the Bar that this attorney in fact had violated the law or any of the bar rules and the Bar sanctions can vary from fines to attorney's licensed being suspended.

I wish you the best of luck!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay thank you for your help

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.