Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

In New York State can I pay child support directly to my 18

Customer Question

In New York State can I pay child support directly to my 18 year old
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
This is a question we get frequently, but I am afraid the answer is that "child support is money due to the custodial parent to provide a place for the child when the child is in the custody of that parent." This means, the money is due the parent, not the child even though the child may be between 18-21 years old (since NY carries child support longer than most every other state).
If you want to end support, you have to prove the other parent is not providing a place for the child to stay and that the child is not staying with that parent and the child is actually supporting themselves (job etc) and you could then file a motion to emancipate the child.